2012/05/28

Paying a tribute to genius artists

A couple under the moonlight. It doesn't matter if the woman is either a gisaeng or an ordinary girl. What is timeless is people in love try to see each other whatever blocks them. 
The man is about to take out something from his coat. The woman is shy and look down quietly, which was required for a woman back then.
월침침야삼경 양인심사양인지 (달빛이 침침한 한밤중에 두 사람의 마음은 두사람만이 안다)
Is the artist a woman as a TV drama suggested? Otherwise, how could he notice and catch such subtle and detailed female traits? I really wonder how he led his life and what he thought of. 







John Atkinson Grimshaw (circa 1837)

I got out of the college library to get fresh air. It was a cold winter night. The trees surrounding the building all lost their leaves and looked bare. The moon hangs between skinny branches. The street lights down in the city looked sparkling. But no one was beside me sharing the sad reality that I had belatedly realized. Only the moon was up there to console me. My thought: nothing changes and the world still revolves around just the way it is even if I'm dead here. I felt like a speckle of dust among millions of people and what is the meaning of my life? I was no longer the center of the world. I was just another peripheral being. This was the time when the sorrow and confusion in my twenties reached its peak. 


겸재 정선 <압구정> 1741년







No comments:

Post a Comment