2015/01/20

Week 1 in Austin, Texas (01 04 2015 - 01 11 2015)

01/04  Austin-Bergstrom Airport
Arrived at the Live Music Capital of the World. I didn't understand what it means on Day 1. "Probably they're just saying so. It's no big deal." Well... you'll see. 
















01/05  Welcome lunch at Scholz's Garten 
It's a German beer garden which opened in the late 1800s. This is the place where politicians and celebrities come. I tasted the first (kind of) Texan BBQ. Didn't meet my expectation, but the ambience the old venue has was great. A big pecan tree that offers shade looks like a good gathering place underneath in the backyard. By the way, pecan is the state tree. 
There are six different Texas flags on display. First learned that Texas was claimed by six countries: France, Spain, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate states of America, and USA. 


01/06  Waterloo Records & Interview 1 
A CD release party at a record shop. Sounds interesting. Both the name and the logo of the shop are so English that it fascinates me. Refreshments are provided. Locals are socializing and talking. I'm looking for a kind-looking Austinite who answers my interview questions about American values.
Regardless of their gender and age, people here in this liberal city of the conservative state of Texas are friendly and proud of their country and hate phonies (people who pretend somebody they're not). Family and freedom are considered the most important. 












01/06 University Federal Credit Union
Too much deposit required at Bank of America. I've never heard of UFCU. Is it trustworthy? The teller was very friendly and patiently explained how the banks works. UFCU is basically UT-oriented and dominant in the Austin area. Got a free burnt orange T-shirt with Bevo on it. Made a contribution by pinpointing a location of where I'm from on the world map they display on a wall. 


UT Sciences Toastmasters Club
A toastmasters club in UCLA of 2006 looked overwhelming and was forgotten thereafter. Today's club brings the memories back and now I'm willing to join one in the vicinity of KS Uni back in Korea. Public Speaking class here and its experiences are definitely fruitful and get me motivated to become a better pubic speaker. 

  • To be a well-organized public speaker
  • To deliver an attention-getting opening and strong conclusion
  • To make eye contact with various members of the audience
  • To respond to my peers with integrity and respect
  • To put my best efforts in public speaking













01/09  Guest speaker Trevor Romain
I was tired of handling problematic kids and tons of paperwork at work. Honestly didn't like teaching job at school. He shared touching experiences of his own with kids. Once a black sheep of a camp he wanted to disappear at last became a camp worker. He has a deep understanding about my profession and made me proud of my job. I felt kind of recharged from his speech. 

01/10  Field trip to San Antonio
A cold, drizzling day. UTSA's Institute of Texan Cultures. Too many things to see. A nonagenarian lady was spinning thread from some cotton in a traditional way. I tried and gave her a hassle to mend what I did badly. 
San Jose Mission and Alamo (cottonwood in Spanish). San Antonio and the Alamo played a critical role in the Texas Revolution. Remember the Alamo; It's a place where people made sacrifice for freedom and independence. It was such a heroic venue but it didn't resonate with me. San Jose Mission is more like my type in which I have time to myself. The Riverwalk area is worth visiting. A variety of restaurants are lined along the redeveloped river bank. My choice of the restaurant encouraged by the chaperon was Joe's Crab Shack. It was not easy to have crab flesh because I have been sort of spoonfed by Seungwon. Next time I would like to go to the rest of the Spanish missions in old San Antonio: San Juan, Concepcion, and Espada. 













01/11  San Marcos Premium Outlets & Interview 3 
A cashier at a coffee shop in the food court. She said she is a team player. She thinks that the welfare of the group is more important than the welfare of the individual. 
I've verified that I'm not a shopaholic. There once was a time I almost felt the same way Rebecca in The Confessions of a Shopaholic said or did. The days are long gone. "Maybe I'll find a good deal. Once again almost nothing that grabs my attention." Was a good place for window shopping. 


WEEK 1
Hectic because I didn't get used to the new environment and pretty heavy workload. It was colder than I had expected. I ended up buying 6 pieces of clothes at San Marcos. The UT campus looks desolate with few students. Looks gray. Now I know how hard the life of settlers to the new world was. 




No comments:

Post a Comment