2015/01/26

Week 4 in Austin, Texas (01 26 2015 - 02 01 2015)

01/26  American Culture class
I'm allowed to use the Internet since the class is about what Americans do online. I did a quiz on buzzfeed.com. The topic is "Which fictional badass are you?"
The result is as follows:












I like the outcome. I'm fond of the Katniss character described in the Hunger Games. She is independent and willing to cope with challenges that harsh living conditions bring about.


Here are interesting websites and buzzwords:
  • buzzfeed.com
  • pinterest.com
  • gawker.com
  • huffingtonpost.com
  • kimchi ketchup
  • guerilla knitting
  • tiny houses
  • ombre hair
  • steampunk
  • catfish


01/27 Fiesta Market
Went to near I-35 to interview Hispanics for my final culture project. It was around 5 pm. Unlike Whole Foods Market, at the same time of the day, there were not many shoppers. They probably have longer work hours and come to shop late.
 
The Red Bench: Interfaith Conversation that Matter












Guidelines for a Great Conversation:
  • Open-mindedness: listen to and respect all points of view
  • Acceptance: suspend judgment as best you can
  • Curiosity: seek to understand rather than persuade; we are not here to "fix" one another
  • Discovery: question old assumptions, look for new insights
  • Sincerity: speak your truth, from your heart, about what has personal meaning to you
  • Brevity: go for honesty and depth but don't go on and on



What is fascinating about this conversation is people from different religions get together at the same table and try to accept differences without judging each other. I love the feeling of being accepted who I am. I believe Austin has become a community-based friendly city due to this kind of productive efforts. The idea is similar to Humanities Discussions that are taking place in Korea these days. 
 



01/30  Bill Bryson 
I was probably the only non-Caucasian audience. While everybody was laughing, I got frustrated not being able to share the same feeling. $39 for a seat at the back corner+$2 window fee. I assumed that there must be something wonderful. However, it turned out to be expensive given the price and the size of the venue. No images or videos; Only Bill Bryson's fast delivery.      

01/31  IMAX-Game of Thrones












People were waiting in line even 1 hour before the 7pm show. Some young people were lying on the carpeted floor and using their cells to kill time. I haven't see the HBO drama. I thought it was time to see it. The screen and the sound were awesome. It was worth it. I don't like violence and bloodshed, though. 


01/31  Gay Bar Rain 


Austin is like an island in Texas. The capital city is completely different from other parts of Texas. It's safe best of all. People here are kind and liberal. 
LGBT is protected and even seems prosperous in Austin. It's all due to UT and musicians, I guess. 











02/01  Wildflower Church-Unitarian Universalist Congregation  
I like what the lay leader said at the beginning of the worship service: Do not tell how to find God. There was neither minister nor reference to the Bible. The worship leader was a professional musician. According to an old lady, one of the founders, this religion (For me it's more like a community get-together, though.) dates back to the 1500s when Luther reformed Christianity. It's amazing that people back then had such a modern concept of religion. 
I basically believe that religion should exist to help people mediate and enhance their quality of living. I'm opposed to people who blindly follow what their religious leader says. I saw the potential of Unitarian church, and this could be my religion. 














Home Slice Pizza & Amy's Ice cream & Sandy's 
Mexican vanilla. Is it spicy? No, actually it's sweeter. I was full but I kept eating to taste something new. 
















WEEK 4
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! That's what I really learned! It has to be I who gather up the courage and start talking to the locals. Otherwise, they don't know what I want. In that sense, a stool at a bar is a good place to make a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment