2012/04/27

First they came...

I've come across a famous statement/poem. I guess I once heard of this. It makes more sense to me these days when I often find myself hesitating to come forward or stand up for a good cause. Have I become an old dog?

First they came...  by Martin Niemoller (German pastor 1892-1984)
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The last line leaves a big impact on me, especially older me. As I grow older, I think I have to stay alert all the time since it's more likely to compromise into an easier, convenient way. Niemoller went through Nazism under which German intellectuals were inactive over Nazis' purge, and warns of the danger of political apathy.
Once the results of the latest general election came out, Seungwon lamented again the seemingly never-ending regionalism. Those three incorrigible regions or areas: Kyungsang province, Cholla province, and Kangnam. Even a dog can be elected if it runs with a particular number. Pathetic!
What I didn't expect from him was he even criticized Cholla province. I've thought they have justifiable reasons to always vote for liberal candidates. Well, I know it's almost 95%, more like an authoritarian country. There is neither diversity nor tolerance. He said Cholla should change first. If it happens, Kyungsang feels ashamed and follows. But I disagree. Cholla has been a historical victim. It's unjust to ask them to change first. Anyway, when will the day come a conservative candidate wins in Cholla while a liberal wins in Kyungsang?

No comments:

Post a Comment