2012/04/28

Flightless bird, American mouth

I can't forget the song from the Twilight dancing scene. It's a beautiful song, but I don't understand what it means though I tried. It's a poem. Whatever. 
  Flightless Bird, American Mouth  (by Iron & Wine)
I was a quick wet boy, diving too deep for coinsAll of your street light eyes wide on my plastic toysThen when the cops closed the fair, I cut my long baby hairStole me a dog-eared map and called for you everywhere


Have I found you
Flightless bird, jealous, weeping or lost you, American mouth
Big pill looming

Now I'm a fat house cat
Nursing my sore blunt tongue
Watching the warm poison rats curl through the wide fence cracks
Pissing on magazine photos
Those fishing lures thrown in the cold
And clean blood of Christ mountain stream

Have I found you
Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding or lost you, American mouth
Big pill stuck going down

The following is what I got from an Irish GET who worked at my school. 
The first part: a young vivacious boy became too old for playing games
The second part: watching the youngsters now playing where he once played
Truthfully no one will ever know the meaning of the lyrics, only the songwriter. 
It is like a piece of art. Everyone interprets it in their own. 
For me it sounds like he's telling the story of how he was a young, confused boy in America and how he grew into an old bitter man. A love song of how he found his love, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment