2012/07/25

Up


1. Summary
Carl Fredricksen and his wife, Ellie, had been a big fan of adventurer Charles Muntz since they were little kids. They had always wanted to go on an adventure to Paradise Falls in South America. Carl, who led a solitary life after Ellie's death, took off for the destination with thousands of colorful helium balloons attached to his house. A boy named Russel, who eagerly wanted the last badge to become a senior wilderness explorer, helped Carl carry the house and eventually reach the location. Along the journey, they built a special bond while collaboratively rescuing a big bird and talking dogs from the mean Muntz.

2. Reaction
I had thought this book wasn't that special in the first place. The story wasn't as interesting and moving as Lion King. I had bothered to watch the DVD to better understand the book. It sounds a tad bit exaggerative, but the only pleasant thing I found out about it was the scene where a bunch of colorful balloons appeared behind Carl's house. I could immediately recognize the scene because it's part of the iPad commercial.
My views on the book, however, totally changed as the discussion was developing. I came to a realization that the adventure this story was trying to convey was not the big one which is reserved and exclusive only to a handful of extraordinary people. Everyday life I live can be considered as an adventure. What matters is not how far or exotic place I go to, but how well I cope with everyday routine with an adventurous spirit.
I have been so far busy complaining either of the same boring days or of stressful behavioral problems I have to deal with at work. On second thought, surprisingly, black sheep students kindly put me into an adventure and made my monotonous day exciting. Everything depends on how I look at them. Scarlett O'hara said, "Tomorrow I'll think of some way. After all, tomorrow is another day." I wonder what new things are ahead of me tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment