2013/10/10

Word games & jigsaw puzzles

I don't know exactly when, but I got very interested in word games. My favorite game is Scrabble. I guess it was probably around the time when I first found it fun to learn English. I came across the game at a language school and it was like love at first sight. Right after the game began, I got into it and strongly wanted to win. Though I knew a lot of vocabulary, words I could come up with the given tiles were elusive. Ironically this made me focus more on the game. I don't always win the game, but I do want to win when it comes to Scrabble.


I got Boggle from an American friend. It's also interesting. Actually it drives me crazy. These 16 letters get on my nerves. I never won this game, playing with Seungwon. I think I know more than twice words than he does, but I always lose. It's frustrating. The hourglass isn't on my side. I can come up with words like these: go, hop, log, lie, wipe, goal, hope..., but what's wrong with me during the play?


Ever since I got married, I got a new hobby: jigsaw puzzle. It was Seungwon's hobby and it became mine, too. The very first puzzle we put together was Gustav Klimt's Kiss. This was framed and has been hung on the wall. Next were Monet and landscape things. Some of them were not framed and thrown away. The beauty of a jigsaw puzzle is look more closely at a masterpiece, working on it. First, place the rectangular border pieces. Then, find the matching pieces, thinking of the colors, shapes, and patterns. Once we start a puzzle, we can't put our hands off it. I come home right after work and am preoccupied with it till late night for several hours. I have to put the 1,000 pieces in place in a few days. I can't do other things until it's done. Seungwon is very good at it, but it is always I who get the honor to put the last piece in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment